Tuesday, February 8, 2011

PRODUCT REVIEW - Hodgson Mill Gluten Free Cookie Mix

Photo from everydayceliac.blogspot.com
I really wanted to like it. I tried. But I just couldn't do it.

We got this Hodgson Mill GF Cookie Mix because it was on sale at the grocery store. I think it was $3.99, which for a cookie mix is about a dollar less than anything else.

What's neat about this mix is they give you the base recipe (eggs, butter, etc), and then 5 different recipes to customize the mix (chocolate chip, almond, peanut butter, chocolate, and pecan). We went for the chocolate, which meant adding some melted chocolate to the mix before the eggs went in.

I should have seen the warning signs. Only one egg, when most recipes call for 2. The use of Amaranth flour in the ingredients, when normally this flour has a very strong taste, too strong for baked goods. Once mixed together, the dough looked like sandcastle sand. I should have known better.

The result, as you can guess, was not pretty. The cookies were hard, mealy, and crumbled as soon as you bit into them. And they tasted like nothing, with a hint of chocolate. Harumpf.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the heads up. My daughter tossed one of these mixes in the cart because it was new and on sale. Haven't tried it yet, partly because she saw the flours and realized she too, doesn't like or can't tolerate them. I usually avoid mixes, but let her talk me into it. Oh, well.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...