Saturday, January 22, 2011

RECIPE - GF Soft Pretzels with Beer Cheese Dip





It's OK to drool. I won't tell anyone...

Ok, so the gluten free soft pretzel recipe I cannot and will not share with you. I got it out of my new cookbook "Gluten Free Baking Classics" by Annalise G. Roberts. Check out her website, The Food Philosopher.  They're fantastic. Simply said. Do yourself a favor and buy this cookbook. Seriously! Your family will thank you.

Now, onto the cheese dip!! I first encountered beer and cheese in dip format at a great restaurant The Readhead in the east village. Besides having the 2nd best (umm, hello? see mine) fried chicken ever, they make this amazing cheese-y beer-y dip for soft pretzels. I did my best to make a gluten free lactose free version. That recipe I'll share with you.

Now, there's a couple of things that make this recipe awesome and special despite its being gluten free and lactose free. The first is Cabbott cheese. Oddly enough, my grandpa told me about this gem. Their cheeses are gluten free AND lactose free. And they taste like CHEESE!!!!

The second is the Tofutti cream cheese. I've used this cream cheese in the past as a healthier alternative to cream cheese, but it's also great because it's gluten free and dairy free!

And finally we have the beer. You only need a little, so use your favorite gluten free beer. I recently tried Estrella Daura, the best American-tasting gluten free beer (vs. the best European-tasting gluten free beer Greene's beer).

Ingredients:
1/2 cup shredded Cabbott cheddar cheese
2 tbsp Tofutti original cream cheese
1/4 cup gluten free beer (I recommend Estrella Daura, see my review here)
a little salt and pepper
1 tbsp Hot Sauce (like for wings)

Directions:
Put everything into a bowl. Microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring after each burst. Once everything melts together, pour into your serving bowl and refrigerate. Difficult, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...